List:       kde-look
Subject:    Re: KDE - The joke's gone on for far too long.
From:       Sean Pecor <sean () digitalspinner ! com>
Date:       2001-02-12 14:58:25

On Monday 12 February 2001 02:46, Paul Fredlein wrote:
> KDE has potential, so let's get something positive going on in the Linux
> world and stop being a poor man's Micro$oft Windoze.

Okay, the facts: Windows is the most popular desktop operating system. More
people prefer Windows than it's alternatives. It took hold of the market
early on because Windows made DOS and there were 10 DOS programmers for every
1 Unix or Mac programmer.

The conclusion: In order for a competing desktop operating system to be
viable, it must have the applications to support it. To have viable
applications, it must have programmers to support their development. To have
viable programmers, a solid bridge must exist so that talented Windows
developers can migrate and risk little. To deny this is to doom the new
initiative to be nothing more than a novelty for a niche audience. KDE and
Linux go one step further in that they are a cancer for Windows with no
single source or known cure. There is no cash resource to cut, no single
competitor to purchase, and no governing body to corrupt.

<myopinion>
While KDE takes much of what is good from several operating systems, KDE and
QT together are the bridge from Windows to Linux. Three out of four Windows
developers will choose KDE during a silent migration that will see Gnome fade
in significance. If you disagree, look to Corel and their efforts at
customizing Wordperfect Office 2000 for KDE. Or Borland, for their deployment
of Kylix. For those who haven't taken a serious look at Kylix yet, it's
darwinian ladder includes Pascal, Turbo Pascal, Borland Pascal and Borland
Delphi. It's a serious RAD tool, and millions of developers around the world
use Delphi every day. I used Delphi extensively in the early nineties and it
kicked ass.
</myopinion>

Sean.

--