List:       kde-look
Subject:    Re: Taskbar ease of use feature.
From:       Klas Kalass <klas.kalass () gmx ! de>
Date:       2001-02-02 18:57:59

Am Freitag,  2. Februar 2001 18:14 schrieb Friedrich W. H. Kossebau:

> If you think of KDevelop, my favorite base for project thinking, there
> the problem is solved by having three categories for opened files:
> headers, source, and documentation.
>
> Derivated from this I would propose a new approach for the
> task-/windowbar. Having categorized the windows/documentviews there is
> an entry for each category. A simple click on the category would switch
> to either the last accessed of that category or if the actual is already
> one of that category the one next in the list. A longer click (pulldown
> click) would open a menu with all windows of that category sorted by
> time of last access (or optional name or what you want) to choose from.

I would find that very irritating, as a user has to think of a
category for the window he wants access to. Personally I agree that the
taskbar becomes unusable quickly and I think that the BeOS approach of having
one entry per application helps a lot. When a user clicks on a taskbar button
he gets a popup menu with all windows belonging to that app. So you get one
button only for Konqueror, one for gimp and so on. But here is the next
problem: at least for Konqueror it makes sense not to put all instances into
one entry. Konqueror windows could be grouped by the profile used. But I have
no clue if that is possible to implement without major changes.

Klas