List:       kde-look
Subject:    Re: KSpread's icon...
From:       "Friedrich W. H. Kossebau" <Friedrich.W.H () Kossebau ! de>
Date:       2001-01-30 11:11:06

rik@kde.org wrote:
> Konqueror's 'about' page shows a globe centred on America.

This could be helped by a rotating globe ;)
Or is adjusted dependent on the localization ;)

> BTW, I don't see why a project which is produced mostly by Europeans
> shouldn't have a Euro symbol on its spreadsheet icon.

It's their work, should be their choice. I just wanted to point at some
possible disadvantage.

> Europe is IMO a good example of nations working together in harmony.
> KDE is IMO a good example of developers from many nations working
> together in harmony.
> IMO using a Euro symbol is not just acceptable, it's desirable.

Sorry I think your reasoning doesn't consider everything. You say the
kspread project members chose (or accepted) the Euro to show that most
are from Europe and because the Euro shows the parallel between the
peaceful cooperation of KDE members and members of europe nations. Not
only that I think the Euro only represents the cooperation of economy.

What is more I think you don't mention the users the project is aiming
at. There are some who are thankful for the work like it is. So do I :)
As I'm from Europe I also would prefer the Euro as it's my (coming)
currency (let alone that I don't like a currency's symbol in the icon).
But what about those who live in other places on the planet? I think the
KSpread project would like everybody to accept their work. Everywhere.
Because it is free (as word ;) and frees from domination as it is
customizable even in the language. But if one element is fixed that
looks foreign to many this will keep them dissatiesfied or even prevent
them from using it (and getting to know its freedom).

See what I mean?

I might look funny that I complain about something I am not affected by.
But I like KDE and the idea of free software that much I want it to
spread everywhere and all possible obstacles to disappear :)

Friedrich