List:       kde-look
Subject:    Re: KSpread's icon...
From:       "Friedrich W. H. Kossebau" <Friedrich.W.H () Kossebau ! de>
Date:       2001-01-29 18:23:11

Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> "Friedrich W. H. Kossebau" wrote:
> > > * Abacus? This would blend well with the quill in Kword.
> > I would vote for this, too. Would refer to old cultures, not present
> > one, so no big insult to anyone.
> Yes, I agree.

I just remembered a rumor: There are people still today who do even
complicated calculations by an abacus quicker than somebody by his
electronic pocket calculator. But these are surely very seldom ;)

> > > * A nice open ledger. This is essentially what a spreadsheet originally
> > > replaced.
> >
> > What is a ledger, please? The translation given by my dictionary doesn't
> > light it :(
>
> A ledger is a big table of book-keeping values, showing debits and
> credits. It might look something like this:
>
> Opening balance         100
> Plus sales               50
> Less cost of sales               20
> Less running costs               10
> Plus other income         5
>                         155      30
>                       ------
> Nett balance            125

Thank you all for your help know I know it (for ever). In my dictionary
the entry is simply something like "main book". Well, that course about
bookkeeping is a long time ago... ;)

Friedrich