List:       kde-look
Subject:    Re: KSpread's icon...
From:       "Steven D'Aprano" <dippy () mikka ! net ! au>
Date:       2001-01-29 15:39:54

"Friedrich W. H. Kossebau" wrote:

> > The greek letter you refer to, sigma, won't mean anything to 90% of
>
> Ups. 90%? But isn't this something what is teached in the first years of
> math education? Sigh... did I really lose contact to the base?

Sigma notation is taught in high school, but not to all students, at
least not in Australia. And those that do learn it mostly forget it by
the time they join the work force.

In my office, there are five people (myself included) who use
spreadsheets. Of the five, I'm the only one who knew what sigma was.

> > users. Even spreadsheet users. You'd be amazed how many spreadsheet
> > users don't even know how to calculate sums! But in any case, I think
>
> What are spreadsheets used for, then? I thought summing is the basic
> operation.

It is! But even more basic, spreadsheets are good for laying out tables
of data. The data doesn't have to be numeric, and you don't have to do
arithmetic on it.

In my work, we use a lot of spreadsheets to lay out columns and rows of
requests for credit from customers. Eg we show credit claim number,
invoice number, invoice date, reason for request, status of request (eg
pending, accepted, rejected). Not arithmetic needed, not even a plus or
minus.

> But with a spreadsheet and a calculator togheter? I think this to be
> unmistakable.

That might be nice.

--
Steven D'Aprano