List:       kde-look
Subject:    Re: KSpread's icon...
From:       "Steven D'Aprano" <dippy () mikka ! net ! au>
Date:       2001-01-28 17:38:10

"Friedrich W. H. Kossebau" wrote:

> So I would propose to change that Euro into the greek letter used for
> sum. It's again a little western centric perhaps (how are equations
> written in chinese or japanese written today?) but isn't that much in
> danger to be political.

Most serious mathematical work (apart from basic calculations) is
written in English/Greek symbols. Not neccessarily the English language,
but using the same symbols.

The greek letter you refer to, sigma, won't mean anything to 90% of
users. Even spreadsheet users. You'd be amazed how many spreadsheet
users don't even know how to calculate sums! But in any case, I think
sigma would be better suited for an equation editor.

Not that I agree with the Euro symbol for KSpread, just that I can't
think of an alternative.

--
Steven D'Aprano