List:       kde-look
Subject:    Re: kde's future
From:       "Friedrich W. H. Kossebau" <Friedrich.W.H () Kossebau ! de>
Date:       2001-01-11 10:28:08

rik@kde.org wrote:
> My problems:
> If you want to create an audio file, you're probably an audio-type
> person, meaning that you know how to use proper audio tools, e.g.
> Cubase, Logic Audio, etc. Real users mostly create MP3s, not big
> multitracked things. If you're a 'real' audio person, you don't
> work with single sound files. You work with a 'song', which contains
> 'tracks'. You mix midi and PCM together. Having the option of creating
> either is nonsense.
>
> If you're creating an image, it might involve both vectors and pixmaps.
> I know there aren't many tools that work like that for UNIX at the
> moment, but I'm sure they will come. Then that submenu is nonsense.

I agree completly. That's what I meant when I spoke of that the template
menu is something totally userdependent. I think it is impossible to
design a default menu that fits everyone. At least I have no idea :(

It's the same as with each user's home directory. Maybe there should be
a simple default content but then leave it to the user to build his own
structure. (Is your KMenu still the default? ;) When I speak of
templates I don't think only of pure empty files with the according
format but also of prepared templates. Especially of the possibilty to
have an entry in the .desktop-file that tells which program/script to
run that dynamically creates the new file.

examples:
choose 'new/programming/gpl-cpp-class' (could be a better name of
course)
a script would be executed that popups some dialog, asks for class name,
base class etc., just like in kdevelop, and then creates a cpp- and a
h-file.

choose 'new/letters/official'
kword is started with a flag (might not exist right now) which tells
which template to use. Perhaps kword templates store the needed info
which parameters to ask in a dialog which kword then uses to create the
dialog.

Do you see what I mean? Spreading of intelligence. very modular. Of
course only power users might be able to create scripts. But there could
be packages of collected ones by the time.

> I'll reply to the rest of the mail when I've read it - might be
> next year ;)

Hope you speak of internet years (they say there are seven in one normal
;)

Friedrich