List:       kde-look
Subject:    Re: kde's future
From:       Rolf Magnus <ramagnus () zvw ! de>
Date:       2001-01-10 9:10:43

On Wednesday 10 January 2001 09:12, Henry Stanaland wrote:

> But why
> do we have to have that little menu hidden in that corner of
> our screen be the most important part of our user interface?

What is your alternative idea? I think it's good as it is. All applications
available in a popup menu and the ones you want faster access you can
d'n'd into panels.

> And 97% our desktop taken up by a wallpaper?  A stinking useless
> wallpaper!  I'm not saying that we shouldn't have a pretty pictures
> up there, but what if KDE abandoned this notion and came up with a
> much more amazing way to take up this space.

There is already a much more amazing way. Put windows (Not MS Windoze) on it.
The wallpaper is only to be seen if there are currently no useful things to
show.

> My idea is to make the KDE background into one huge KParts "Canvas"
> (Note:  This word is borrowed from Bill Gate's speech about Whistler,
> but I haven't used it so I don't know if this is similar to the
> canvas he was talking about).  So we have this KParts "Canvas"
> and we can put anything on our desktop.  Can you imagine?  You
> could have your KCalendar's "Daily View" in one corner, and perhaps
> a mini-konqueror view of your Home in another.  And we could still
> put that picture of Ol' Yeller in there(since images can be used
> as a KPart).  This could open up  more possibilities for those
> applets we are always trying to cram into the taskbar.

But why do you have a windowing system then? I usually put many windows on my
screen and don't want to put them all away to see things on the desktop that
belong into other windows.
But something like that might even be possible without changing much. If you
start an app using kstart --type Dock for example, its window is created
without decoration, but then keyboard input doesn't work for it and it can be
put to the front. If there were another type that opens it so that it's
always in the background and it gets keyboard input, a small app to configure
it would suffice.