List:       kde-look
Subject:    Re: kde's future
From:       Peter Lyons <peter.lyons () oberlin ! edu>
Date:       2001-01-10 2:56:51

I definitely agree with Henry that all the functionality should be there,
but you can shield your novices who click randomly until something works
from it.  The pre-fab settings for Basic, Intermediate, Advanced (I would
suggest the word basic or beginner over easy) sound OK, but I think if you
just keep it out of reach of the click-happy novice, you can keep a wider
audience happy.  For example, more advanced and potentially confusing
options are fine in the context-sensitive right-click menus because novices
are not going to be right-clicking anything, and if they do, they are
willingly going beyond their usual scope.  So, putting delete, rename, new
folder, etc there is fine. Also, having things come with keybindings is
fine because novices have never realized that you can hold down a key and
hit another, and if your like me, you use the keyboard as much as possible.
Anyway, here are my preliminary thoughts on how this could work: (this is
working within the idea of dialogs, which I think are bad and unecessary,
and I think we should move away from them, but for now, let's make them
good)

    The default dialog you get the first time you use KDE is completely
simple, obvious, and plain.  It  should just have the navigation arrows, an
"Open" (or Save, etc) button (I'm not a fan of OK), and a "Cancel" button.
It should not have the filter menu, but the list of files should use a
filter to list all openable files first in alphabetical order, and then a
list of non-openable files that are dimmed-out.  I like this because the
idea of file types is confusing to novices who don't understand the
relationship between applications  and  different types of files, however,
if they know that they have a file called hawaii.jpeg in their home
directory, they will get confused if it doesn't show up, but the dimming
out makes it pretty clear that it does not make sense to click that.  I
think the dialog should say "To Open a file, click on it and then click the
Open button".  There should be no deleting, no new folders (obviously not
in the open dialog, but maybe not in the save dialog either), no renaming,
no right-click menu, no nuttin'.  Also, the refresh button does not make
sense to the novice.  They don't realize that you read the directory once
and then display a snapshot of how it was right then, they think that those
icons ARE the files.  This is probably a much more low-level thing  to
change that would probably have to be done by trolltech and have some
implementation complications (I'm not a Linux developer myself, at least
not yet), but really if you are in an open dialog and a new file appears in
that directory, it should just appear.  For now, the refresh button is fine
in the other levels, but novices won't understand why it is there.  I
realize that they could be confused as to why some new file isn't showing
up, put since they rarely multitask, I wouldn't worry about it.  they can
cancel and try again.  Somewhere out of the way, there should be a
pull-down menu that allows them to switch to Intermediate or Advanced.
Obviously, this should somehow be protected from the random clickers,
although I'm not sure exactlly what might be appropriate.

    If you switch to intermediate, you get basically the current (well, 2.0
as I haven't switched to the 2.1beta1 yet) dialog, but the right click menu
should have delete, rename, etc as well.  Once you switch, you should
always get that level in all applications for that type of dialog until you
manually switch back.

Hope this is useful,

Peter Lyons

   The advanced could have maybe a few more features, like regex-based
filters or custom filters, and maybe more sorting options, but I'm not sure
what else.
--On Tuesday, January 09, 2001 07:09:02 PM -0500 Henry Stanaland