List:       kde-look
Subject:    Re: Resizeable Dialogs, Layout & Co.
From:       "Friedrich W. H. Kossebau" <Friedrich.W.H () Kossebau ! de>
Date:       2001-01-06 15:17:17

Carsten Pfeiffer wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 04, 2001 at 10:12:53PM +0100, Friedrich W. H. Kossebau wrote:
> > What does binary compatibility mean then? That existing function calls
> > are not allowed to change?
>
> You can't change the semantics of existing function calls, you can't add new
> virtual methods (or remove some), or add new members to a class (we have the
> private d-pointers for, so that we can add new members). There should be
> a nice document about binary compatibility on developer.kde.org.

Ah. Sorry, hadn't searched for. By the way: What is the reason that
netscape (at least mine but read complainings by others too) doesn't
reach "developer.kde.org"? I have access via
alpha.tat.physik.uni-tuebingen.de but am interested why the official
path doesn't work.

> > No need to force every app to use this. But a feature more to attract
> > programmers to use KDialogBase.
>
> Well, if the margin, the spacing and maybe even the button-order is configurable,
> it should also apply to all dialogs, not just to some. So yes, all programs
> should use KDialogBase.

Agreed. Preferable at least. Hasn't there been a discussion about
something like a "kde-style meet" certification? ;-)

> > Wow: me contributing code to KDE? I would like to. Time and knowledge
> > the only problems. Maybe in february. I really would like to. I will see
> > how I could organize time.
>
> Great :) Feel free to ask questions on the lists or for quick help, ask on #kde.

I will.

See you in february

Friedrich