List:       kde-look
Subject:    Re: Resizeable Dialogs, Layout & Co.
From:       Carsten Pfeiffer <carpdjih () cetus ! zrz ! TU-Berlin ! DE>
Date:       2001-01-06 12:02:44

On Thu, Jan 04, 2001 at 10:12:53PM +0100, Friedrich W. H. Kossebau wrote:

Hi,

> Hum, maybe I didn't clearly express what I meant:
> I would like all dialogs that have widgets that are sizeable by its
> nature (lists in the number of shown items, edit fields in the length)
> to be resizeable. A simple messagebox doesn't need any resizing (as long
> as its layout is done using i18n and qt's layout machine). So if I have
> a file dialog I want to be able to stretch it to the screen's height if
> I would like to (and I often do ;-) Or if I fill out some edit fields I
> would like to make the dialog smaller to be able to see some other
> window the whole time and not being forced to switch all the time.

right, that's what I mean, too :)

> They could be forced to by expanding the dialogs constructor call with
> the pointer to the app's config, right after the QObject::name parameter
> ;-) So if the size config is used they would have to give a name.
> Default 0 would tell not to use any size information. No need for a
> further function to tell about the app's config.

Yup.

> What does binary compatibility mean then? That existing function calls
> are not allowed to change?

You can't change the semantics of existing function calls, you can't add new
virtual methods (or remove some), or add new members to a class (we have the
private d-pointers for, so that we can add new members). There should be
a nice document about binary compatibility on developer.kde.org.

> > The parent is used to tell have the dialog centered above the parent's window,
> > which is quite nice IMHO.
>
> Maybe some users differ ;-)

Possible :)

> No need to force every app to use this. But a feature more to attract
> programmers to use KDialogBase.

Well, if the margin, the spacing and maybe even the button-order is configurable,
it should also apply to all dialogs, not just to some. So yes, all programs
should use KDialogBase.

> Wow: me contributing code to KDE? I would like to. Time and knowledge
> the only problems. Maybe in february. I really would like to. I will see
> how I could organize time.

Great :) Feel free to ask questions on the lists or for quick help, ask on #kde.

Best wishes,
Carsten Pfeiffer