List:       kde-look
Subject:    Re: konqueror config program.
From:       Thomas <zander () xs4all ! nl>
Date:       2001-01-04 19:26:15

> On Wednesday 03 January 2001 10:28, Thomas wrote:
> > Some time ago Waldo updated the control center to reflect some ideas
> > discussed on this list. At about the same time there appeared a new
> > application that combines the config modules that ware otherwise seperately
> > listed in the konqueror config menu.
> > This new application however uses a totally different approuch to the
> > configing from the control center. It uses some concepts that ware dropped
> > in earlier discussions here.
>
> Well, it tries to solve another problem. Unlike the control center this is
> very much a dialog that can be closed, so the OK/Cancel buttons make sense
> here.

But that feature was decided against here, Tom also found the idea less then
perfect.

> I only think that the "Use Defaults" button is confusing because it makes
> changes to all modules and it might not be obvious that changes have been
> made to a module that wasn't visible.

> From a KISS point of view I would prefer "Help" / "Ok" / "Cancel", but I
> think "Apply" adds in that it allows to try out changes before closing the
> dialog.

Apply is for the current dialog only, and OK/defaults are for everything;
internal inconsistency! And the apply should not ghost out, you should be able
to reapply your config.

> Maybe "Help" / "Apply" / "Close" ?

Same as in the control center: completely seperated modules, each having a
"Help" "use Defaults" "Apply" "Reset"

It is a selection of config options, just like the control center.

And because of this, I was wondering if the control center could display only
the "Web browsing" modules, making it a replacement for the konqueror config center.