List:       kde-look
Subject:    Re: Oracle Internet Filesystem and Metadata
From:       Peter Putzer <pputzer () edu ! uni-klu ! ac ! at>
Date:       2000-10-22 10:46:19

On Sun, 22 Oct 2000, Sven Niedner wrote:

> Hi, folks,
>
> quite shurely some of you know about the Oracle Internet Filesystem. In my
> opinion, this might be the way to go with our meta data problem: Storing
> data not in a filesystem, but a database repository. We could use MySQL or
> some other database as a backend; it could either run on the same host or
> on some network server. It could be implemented simply as another
> kioslave, maybe with some extensions concerning meta information. The
> communication with the database should happen on lower layer, so that the
> backend that is actually talking to the database can be changed without
> changing the API. Maybe there should be way for the application to query
> the meta data capabilities for the current storage location and behave
> accordingly -- it is already different for files on different filesystems.

Not really an option, except as an add-on. Not everone wants to run a
database for his workstation, and besides, without an explicit
dbms-server, performance would suffer quite a bit.

And: everything would become unaccessible by "normal" (i.e.
filesystem-based) utilities, thus completely breaking standard UN*X
semantics.

bye,
Peter