List:       kde-look
Subject:    Teamworking on Documents was: Re: EA (maybe OT)
From:       "Friedrich W. H. Kossebau" <Friedrich.W.H () Kossebau ! de>
Date:       2000-10-17 22:04:28

Yes, should my dream come true? Please keep that EA thread alive, it's
worth it... you might know better than me...

Just my simple cents (though not a bit elaborated):

How could teamworking be integrated into this? I mean what kind of data
should be stored to enable correct working of many people on the same
document?

I found that there is no control wheter a document is actually worked on
by somebody. So it is possible that changes by one might be overriden by
somebody else saving a moment later.

At least a flag is needed to show that the document is in an unsaved
state in the work of somebody else.

If programs are able to exchange informations about the changes made to
the same document (best teamwork), they would need information about who
works with which program where on the document.

Would it be the right way to store these informations with the EA? Or
are there other ways (maybe already in work) like a documents-in-work
server?

What ways are there to share change informations through a net? That
DCOP thing is only for one screen. Or? Would it have to (and could it)
be extended to serve over the network?

I have to admit again I haven't got deep into this before. Sorry, no
time and knowledge by now. But I hope this could be a hint for you and
others.

Friedrich