List:       kde-look
Subject:    Some suggestions
From:       "Gaute Hvoslef Kvalnes" <ai98ghk () stud ! hib ! no>
Date:       2000-07-13 20:56:06

Hi,

Normally I'm a KDE translator, but I've taken some interest in the user
interface of KDE. I thought I'd share some of my impressions.

The style guide needs to be a *lot* more definite. "Maybe this, maybe that
... we haven't decided yet" is not good enough.

The style guide should cover details like the names of applications,
typographic conventions, terms to avoid, etc.

There are two types of application names: Those with an extra "K" in front
(KWord) and those without (Konqueror, Ark). The capitalisation of these is
inconsistent. I've seen names like "kApp", "kapp", "Kapp" and "KApp". There
should be a definite rule for this.

Typographic conventions include the use of spaces before periods, within
parentheses, before ellipses and so on. This will of course vary between
languages, so it should never be hard coded.

Avoid using computer terms. In the Norwegian (Nynorsk) translation I've made
a difference between advanced and simple programs. "Application" is for
example an unknown word for unexperienced users, so I've used "program"
(which is the same in Nynorsk) instead (although the meaning isn't exactly
the same). But in more advanced applications (KDevelop), I've used
"applikasjon" (Nynorsk for "application"). The EIKON Application Style Guide
contains a list of "terms to avoid" (URL below).

Friendliness. Why do an error message have to end with an exclamation mark?
That's just rude.

And KNotes is a strange example to show on the front page of the style
guide.

I've already mentioned the EIKON Application Style Guide, which deals with
the interface on handheld computers. Even if it targets a quite different
platform, the document contains a lot of useful information. And it's
written the way I feel a style guide *should* be written -- no "maybe this,
maybe that".

--
Regards,
 Gaute Hvoslef Kvalnes