List:       kde-look
Subject:    Re: RFC: StyleGuide for Labels? (fwd)
From:       Magnus Ihse <d95-mih () nada ! kth ! se>
Date:       2000-07-05 12:42:52

On Wed, 5 Jul 2000, Peter Putzer wrote:

> > Bold text is usually more readable than plain, on a computer
> > screen. Depending on typeface, of course.
>
> Please, I think it was clear what I meant.

Obviously not, since I don't understand what you mean, in that
case. I thought the original poster (whoever that was) said that it
was better to mark important words with typeface changes, and I agree
with that, as long as readability isn't affected. You gave examples
like "red and blinking" which is obviously bad examples; but that
does not mean that _good_ changes of style (i.e. bold) is good ways
of marking important words.

> Besides, <em> is italic, which is not easy to read.

Yeah, italics sucks, but that does not mean that boldface sucks.

> It is a UI question because "title style" is a concept translatable to
> (almost) all languages, regardless whether that means "All Caps" or
> something else.

?

Let me restate what I've already said:
As far as I know, the ONLY language where you ever write Some Words
Capitalized Sometimes, is English. Other languages doesn't make this
distinction between "title style" and "normal style". That is, if you
write the sentence "Det här är en helt vanlig mening." in Swedish,
like an ordinary sentence you capitalize it just like that: first
letter uppercase, the rest (except proper names) in lowercase. BUT -
and this is my point - if that was a title (of a chapter, or a book,
or whatever) it would STILL be written exactly the same: "Det här är
en helt vanlig mening". If you wrote it "Det Här Är En Helt Vanlig
Mening" it would look almost as stupid as if you were to write "tHis
iS a cOmpletely oRdinary sEntence".

There IS no way of seperating between "title style" and "normal
style" in Swedish. In fact, the concept of "title style" does just
not apply. And this is true of all other languages I know of, except
English.

/Magnus