List:       kde-look
Subject:    Re: "Newbie" likes/dislikes about KDE look and feel
From:       "Steven D'Aprano" <dippy () mikka ! net ! au>
Date:       2000-07-02 14:30:15

"Andrew B. Arthur" wrote:

> Well actually the Windows layout is basically the Windows 3.1 layout + a
> extra redundant, but easy to spot close box on the right (for a total of
> FIVE ways to close a Window -- Window Menu -> Close, Right Close Box,
> Double Clicking the Left Window Menu, Right Click Window Frame, File ->
> Close).

I've been using Windows for a couple of years now, and I'm not afraid
to experiment, but that's three ways more than I knew about. And four
more ways than most of my workmates, who *are* afraid to experiment.

Hmmm... actually, I recall once having a window disappear on me when I
accidently double-clicked the window menu. I just assumed it was a bug
:-)

> This makes a close always handy -- Microsoft figured that people
> close Windows often (I bet you close more Windows a day then maximize or
> shrink them).

I can't speak for others, but actually I shrink a lot more windows
than close, at least when I'm using Windows at work. I generally open
a number of different windows and leave them open, minimizing and
restoring them as needed, and then close them all together when I
finish that specific job.

Which is why I have so often pushed for KDE to include some sort of
Quit command, which closes multiple windows simultaneously. Everyone
else seems to disagree, though.

> Still this makes things more complex then necessary --  I can't imagine
> the need for 4 different ways to close a Window.

That's a point to consider: the proliferation of multiple methods of
doing the same task is not neccessarily a good thing. Better to have
one or two simple, obvious and straightforward ways of doing something
than five ways that nobody knows about.

--
Steven D'Aprano