List:       kde-look
Subject:    Re: "Newbie" likes/dislikes about KDE look and feel
From:       "Andrew B. Arthur" <arthur99 () global2000 ! net>
Date:       2000-07-02 2:41:34

Steven D'Aprano wrote:

> My understanding is that Apple originally decided to put "dangerous"
> controls (ie close) in the left hand corner, and "safe" ones (zoom) in
> the right. Left was choosen for "dangerous" because it was further
> away for right-handers, who of course made up the vast majority of
> users. Microsoft (or so I understand) deliberately decided to change
> this, not for any real or perceived UI benefit, but simply to give the
> appearance that the Windows UI was not a direct rip off of MacOS.

Well actually the Windows layout is basically the Windows 3.1 layout + a
extra redundant, but easy to spot close box on the right (for a total of
FIVE ways to close a Window -- Window Menu -> Close, Right Close Box,
Double Clicking the Left Window Menu, Right Click Window Frame, File ->
Close). This makes a close always handy -- Microsoft figured that people
close Windows often (I bet you close more Windows a day then maximize or
shrink them).

Still this makes things more complex then necessary --  I can't imagine
the need for 4 different ways to close a Window. And how fast does one
forget about double clicking the left window box -- not very -- it comes
natural quickly. You are right, the Mac was really simple, with 2 ways
to close a Window (Left Close Box, and File -> Close). The Mac also made
clicking the wrong option a lot harder on the Window (but left you with
a lot fewer ways to close a Window).

Okay I guess this brings us to the Power of it, vs. Ease of Use
Argument. This could probably go on until the cows come home, but then
there would be a lot of cows to milk. :)

--
Andrew B. Arthur               | http://www.imaclinux.net/
arthur99@global2000.net        |  iMac Not Required (but Recommended)!!