List:       kde-look
Subject:    Re: May be of interest
From:       Marko Samastur <markos () elite ! org>
Date:       2000-06-26 21:29:41

Thomas wrote:

> As the dir structure; there has been a very nice discussion some
> months ago about making an extra layer above the file-system (search for
> CVS/revisions control in the list-logs)
>
> This is something a couple of people will start to work on as soon as
> work subsides. (after the release..)

I was planning to look into it (and Rik too, if my memory hasn't failed
me). I still do, but it seems I will have to postpone any significant
work until autumn.

> The study says one thing I think is a mayor mistake on Apple's side;
> give the user total freedom. In moving files around, in system security
> and in keeping the shell non-transparent (see the conversion from ':' to
> '\' for an example)

I don't see this as a real problem, just a bad implementation. I think
that user has every right to expect to be able to manipulate every file
(document) she sees. I just think she shouldn't see files that can't be
manipulated by her and that those, on which her ability for manipulation
is limited, should be clearly marked as such.

> /me believes unix is for the people. If you don't know anything about
> computers you shouldn't be doing maintainance on it anyway, ANY system
> requires its users to go through a learning phase. Why should that not
> be true for computers?

I think no one is saying that. What some people argue is that it
shouldn't take SO MUCH effort. Often, but not always, this is indeed so
:)

> I for one am waiting for a stable release of OS X, just to toy around with.

I managed to crash DR3 with first click :/ I'm sure newer version is
better and that I'm just so unlucky, because it seems no mac stays up
for more than five minutes behind it and I haven't heard such complains
from others. Therefore, it must be me doing something weird.

Greetings,

	Marko