List:       kde-look
Subject:    Re: Function key mappings proposal
From:       Marko Samastur <markos () elite ! org>
Date:       2000-05-23 18:00:17

Ted Clancy wrote:

> Marko wrote:
>
> >Why would developers need to do that? They could, as they do now, define
> >them only for english (C locale). Translators would be the one, who
> >would localize them and set the standard for their country/language
> >group.
>
> And would these translators be commissioned by KDE? Otherwise, which
> translator would be defining the standard for their locale? It'd be
> unfortunate if different translators were using different keys for the same
> commands in a given locale.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by commissioned. KDE already has
a lot of translators working in teams and you can check that more
specifically on http://i18n.kde.org I'm sure if they trust us to do
localization without a way of checking the quality, they could trust us
with localizing shortcuts as well (which they could actually check). As
I've said before, these shortcuts are far simpler than other things we
do. I haven't tried to prove this statement because frankly, I think
noone cares enough about it ;)

New languages are added when person appears, who wants to translate it.
He or she becomes a team coordinator for that particular language. It
doesn't always work best, but in general well enough.

Hopefully this clear up things a bit.

Marko