List:       kde-look
Subject:    Re: Aesthetic considerations
From:       Marko Samastur <markos () elite ! org>
Date:       2000-05-20 20:11:57

Ted Clancy wrote:

> Actually, I was originally just interested in Cut/Copy/Paste, but now that
> you mention it, moving all the commonly used commands to function keys would
> mean that all the common functions would be language independant.

Who does that benefit? Then it's intuitive for nobody.

> You've already mentioned that Control-F for Find is no use to a French
> person. (I believe the French word for "find" is "trouver".)

That's why they don't have to use it. They can safely create other, for
them more meaningful, menu shortcuts. Other, non menu keyboard shortcuts
that you are talking about, can be changed in control center, but I
don't know anybody who would do that. My guess would be it has something
to do with lack of real benefit.

I dislike the idea to have copy and paste so far from my fingers and I
also agree, with Rik. Some keyboards don't have F keys and KDE wasn't
supposed to and doesn't only work on PC's. However, I also dislike
having cut and copy so close to each other even though that's not a big
problem. If you incidentally hit cut instead of copy, you only have to
paste it back :) (which is as you pointed out is close too ;)

I've got nothing against creating shortcuts on F keys, but I don't agree
with the idea, that the old way should be undocumented. Why? So people
who might prefer it wouldn't find it?

> Let's see, we already have F3 for FindNext... How about:
>
> F1  Help
> F2  Find

That's new game in plenty of KDE games ;)

Marko