List:       kde-look
Subject:    Re: QWhatsThis in KCModules and more
From:       Thomas <zander () xs4all ! nl>
Date:       2000-04-27 17:01:31

> > thinking about what to put into the help-texts and what not. Especially I'd
> > like to know if it's okay with people if we rely that much on the WhatsThis
> > help instead of writing manuals.
>
> Both have their place, but I don't think WhatsThis help can be considered
> a replacement for a manual. A manual has the advanage of linear ordering,
> so that if you have a decent manual you should be able to start at page
> one, and by the end have a reasonable understanding of the whole piece
> of software. You cannot provide this through what's this help.

Right, there are people who won't touch a new program without reading the manual
first and there are people who think things will work out if they just try (and
with good design 99% of the things do) For this last group the WhatIs is designed
I personally consider me to belong to the group who won't read a manual at all,
unless I really have to. If there is an option which has a name I don't understand
I will grab a manual, if I just can't find a way to do things I grab a manual.

So, to put it into perspective; you will never get away with NOT providing a manual,
you can just make the group a lot smaller with all the inline help you provide.
And because most of us don't have time to write manuals I believe this is a very
good thing!

--
Thomas Zander                                              zander@earthling.net
History repeats itself, it has to nobody ever listens.         gpg-key:  0588D5