List:       kde-look
Subject:    Re: Minimum scrollbar handle size
From:       Andreas Pour <pour () mieterra ! com>
Date:       2000-04-26 22:30:11

Federico Cozzi wrote:

> Hello!
>
> The scrollbar handle, in KDE as well as in other desktop environments,
> resizes itself to show the percentage of the document which is currently
> visible. It also has a minimum size (to avoid having a 1 pixel handle).
> The problem is: I think KDE minimum size is too small (it's too
> Windowish). MacOS's minimum is bigger. Is it possible to increase the
> minimum size? (no, I am not asking to add a configuration option, just to
> hardcode a bigger value).
> What do you think?

Wonderful idea!  It wastes time having to finesses a mouse pointer over
a small areas (heck, Netscape seems to make the handle about 3 pixels
wide in the extreme case).  Minimum should be at least 12 pixels (not
including the 2-pixel border -- currently it's 5 pixels w/out the
border, at least in Konqueror).  Heck, people are talking about using a
Mac-style menu bar cuz it takes 10ms less to use it -- here there are
real time savings! (according to Fitts Law)

Ciao,

Andreas