List:       kde-look
Subject:    Re: PROPOSAL: "Mac" menubar as default
From:       Federico Cozzi <cozzi () cibs ! sns ! it>
Date:       2000-04-26 21:28:56

> We had the capability in KDE 1.x and now in 2.0 to have a MacOS-like
> menubar on the top of the screen.  I propose that we make this the
> *default* menubar state in KDE 2.0.

When I tried KDE CVS, I noticed a welcome wizard. It asked lots of
questions (I think some of them were not that important for a first-time
wizard), but this setting could easily be chosen from the Wizard.

I am against MacOS menubar: I saw tens of Windows users trying out an iMac
at the university, and nobody was able to FIND the menubar. The tipical
behaviour: a user double clicks on the Internet Explorer desktop icon; he
surfs the web; he closes the window. Then another user arrives; he double
clicks on the Internet Explorer icon, and nothing happens. He then says:
"This iMac doesn't work".
Actually, when the second user clicked on the icon, the top menubar
changed; but, since it looks like the first one, the eye doesn't catch the
change.

                                              Federico Cozzi