List:       kde-look
Subject:    [Fwd: KDE User Interrface Guidelines]
From:       Richard Moore <rich () ipso-facto ! freeserve ! co ! uk>
Date:       2000-04-26 19:31:10

Forwarded to kde-look.

-------- Original Message --------
From: Tobias Hoevekamp <tobias.hoevekamp@ilw.agrl.ethz.ch>
Subject: KDE User Interrface Guidelines
To: rich@kde.org

Hi Richard,

I have a question about the page
http://developer.kde.org/documentation/standards/kde/style/menus/file.html
Unfortunately, I haven't found an email-address on that page or pages
close to that page. Could you please forward this mail to the
person working on the KDE User Interface Guidelines? Thanks.

My Question:

Bad experiences with different kinds of programs and OSes made be
very (probably over-)precautious when working with documents.
Let's look at an example: I write a document and save it as

   document-v1.doc

I do save this file very often and once in a while (round about
an hour later), I save it as

   document-v2.doc

This goes on, until I've reached the final state which might be

   document-v9.doc

Then, I clean up by saving the final version as

   document-final.doc

and removing -lets say - the first 7 versions.

This procedure would be simplyfied pretty much, if there would
be the option in the file-menu to

   Save Copy As ...

Why is this option not included in the Standard Interface?

With best regards

Tobias Hoevekamp

   _/        _/    _/    _/  Ecole polytechnique federale de Zurich
  _/_/_/    _/    _/_/_/_/  Politecnico federale di Zurigo
 _/        _/    _/    _/  Swiss Federal Institute of Technology Zurich

Tobias Hoevekamp                                    Tel: +41 1 632 33 04
Institute of Food Science                           Fax: +41 1 632 11 55
ETH Zentrum, LFO E21                   tobias.hoevekamp@ilw.agrl.ethz.ch
CH-8092 Zuerich                 http://www.vt.ilw.agrl.ethz.ch/~hoevekam

Home:   Bucheggstrasse 50    CH-8037 Zuerich    Tel/Fax: +41 1 350 70 51