List:       kde-look
Subject:    Re: Radio button group highlighting
From:       Laurent MOUSSAULT <laurent.moussault () mail ! dotcom ! fr>
Date:       2000-04-26 8:46:19

Le Wed, 26 Apr 2000, Andreas Pour a écrit :
> My view is that radio buttons should only appear in one-dimension.  Two
> dimensions is confusing, since the connection between the buttons is
> lost (I would expect the two columns/rows to represent independent sets
> of radio buttons; the only reason I wouldn't in the above example is
> that I know they are not independent sets, but for someone not familiar
> with encodings this would not hold true).

Yes, I agree with this.  I posted this example because someone (I don't
remember who :) asked about adaptation of current applications that you this
kind of layout.  I answered that IMHO this was bad design, and then showed how
we could use this _even_ in those cases.

I think that if we someday somehow introduce this, we won't be able to redesign
all dialogs at once, because of annoying factors such as screen space...  So
we'll need intermediary solutions...  That was my point.

Now, there are cases were "two-dimensional mutually-exclusive discrete choices"
make sense...  Well, I think there are.

--
Laurent MOUSSAULT
ICQ# 66656146