List:       kde-look
Subject:    Program installation (was: Again - UI feedback from a Linux newbie)
From:       Dirk Hennig <Dirk.Hennig () stud ! uni-hannover ! de>
Date:       2000-04-25 6:36:15

I read a lot of talk about kpackage solving this problem. But right now kpackage only
works on RPM. But how often do you have new software as RPM? And when you use a SuSE
distribution and only find RedHat packages, it often just don't work. I think an
automatical installation for .tar.gz files would be so much better. There would be no more
need for people to build RPMs, to support a lot of different versions of the same program.

Dirk