List:       kde-look
Subject:    Re: Again - UI feedback from a Linux newbie (was Radio button
From:       Magnus Ihse <d95-mih () nada ! kth ! se>
Date:       2000-04-24 11:32:50

On Mon, 24 Apr 2000, Steven D'Aprano wrote:

> Just tossing out a wild idea here, but if someone was brave enough,
> they could create a system that mapped real files in a file system to
> (for want of a better term) packages in a hierarchical package system.
> Sort of like RPM on steroids :-)
>
> I'm imagining something like a mapping between real files in the Linux
> file system with pretend files in a more logically arranged pretend
> file system. The ordinary user could, eg delete a single application
> from the pretend file system, which would in turn delete the various
> scattered files from the real file system. The ordinary user need
> never see a real file ever.

Man, you're reading my mind! :-) I think this is an excellent way of
integrating some of the more hariy parts of Linux, into a nice
transparent framework provided by Linux (the file system). Besides,
if you have a package manager disguised as a file system, it'd become
low-level enough to be used in a shell, or from Gnome, or whatever.
Like "rm /Packages/Applications/KIllustration-0.9"...

/Magnus