List:       kde-look
Subject:    Re: UI feedback from a Linux newbie
From:       Magnus Ihse <d95-mih () nada ! kth ! se>
Date:       2000-04-23 19:24:05

On Mon, 17 Apr 2000, Tom Hoferek wrote:

> Agreed. I haven't come across users that are confused by this, but the
> affirmative nature of the tick or check certainly makes more sense than
> the cross which has negative connotations.

Actually, this is culturally biased. Here in Sweden, ticks are
unusual, and the cross is the normal way to mark a check box on a
paper form. It was just recently that I learnt that this isn't so in
the US.

Clarification: ticks is just fine, they too are obvious to swedes
(although they might feel a bit "foreign", just like your funny
american mailboxes on the email programs ;-)), but the cross
does definitely not have any negative connotations.

> Yes, nice mockups but I don't agree with the use of ticks in radio
> buttons. Suddenly two very different controls are starting to look a
> little too similar.

I agree. When I looked at the mockup, at first I didn't understand it
was a different kind of controls. Otherwise, they seemed clear.

/Magnus