List:       kde-look
Subject:    Re: Again - UI
From:       Richard Moore <rich () ipso-facto ! freeserve ! co ! uk>
Date:       2000-04-23 12:50:02

Rik Hemsley wrote:

> #if Tom Hoferek
> > This may sound a bit like a package manager [...]
>
> Yes, I think kpackage does what you want. You can download and install
> with it, with a couple of simple clicks.
>
> I'm still wondering why Linux vendors haven't made kpackage suid 0
> and added the first user on the system to a group that gets to run
> it.

Because it would be an incredibly huge security hole! Do NOT ever do
this. Instead, if you want this functionality you should use kdesu
which is intended for exactly this sort of thing. It will popup a
dialog asking for the root password, then invoke the program as
root. eg. in my KDE 1.x setup I have an icon on kpanel that executes
"kdesu -c 'konsole'" to allow me to get a root shell when I need one.

Rich.

--
     Richard Moore		rich@ipso-facto.freeserve.co.uk
http://www.robocast.com/	richard@robocast.com