List:       kde-look
Subject:    Re: Radio button group highlighting
From:       Rik Hemsley <rik () kde ! org>
Date:       2000-04-20 13:20:25

#if Laurent MOUSSAULT
> Dirk, I see a problem with your radio-buttons proposition:  doesn't a slider
> means a continuous choice ?  How the user will visually make the difference
> between this and e.g. a volume slider in KMix ?
>
> Maybe we could do a compromise between your slider and the "legacy" look of
> radio buttons (I include a quick mockup to show what I mean).  Another
> advantage is that it could be easily implemented (I think): no need for a whole
> new widget, just an
>
> What do you think of this ?  Is this really an issue ?

Sorry, slow to respond to dirk's slider.

I think using a slider is another example of using a widget for
a purpose for which is was not designed, similar to the idea of
using a listbox for exlusive selections.

Example from Empath:

| (o) Base 64          ( ) 8 bit |
| ( ) Quoted-printable ( ) 7 bit |

Where do you put the line ?

Ok, the layout can be changed. The only thing is, it would need
to be changed in many apps and enforced. I think this is possible.

Rik