List:       kde-look
Subject:    Re: Again - UI
From:       Phil Rackus <srackus () home ! com>
Date:       2000-04-19 23:21:35

Ideally the user shouldn't *have* to care about the file system.  The key word is \
ideally.  In an ideal world, hard drives wouldn't crash, partitions would be \
infinately large and no one would ever have cause to re-install their system.

It is good practise to strive to an ideal, but it  is important to make sure that \
your solution is practical in todays non-ideal world.

Imagine you need to re-install your primary partition (for whatever reason), but you \
have 5GB of files that you need to save somewhere.  Without any idea of which \
partition is which  or even if it is local or networked, it could be challenging to \
put your files in a 'safe' location for backup.

Perhaps the goal (for now) should be to make all filesystems (remote, local etc) \
*behave* like a local filesystem, while still making all the information available to \
the user.

Phil