List:       kde-look
Subject:    Re: Error messages and the status bar
From:       Dave Leigh <dave.leigh () cratchit ! org>
Date:       2000-04-19 21:21:56

Steven D'Aprano wrote:

> Dirk Hennig wrote:
>
> > change the color depending on its status: Green = waiting for user-input, Yellow =
> > working, but ok for user-input, Red = error. That would be quite clear for everyone.
>
> Except the colour-blind. You would need an extra indicator for them.
> But the use of red for error would be very good. Its a pity to drop
> the idea because a minority of people won't be able to appreciate it.

I once worked on a commodities-trading package, and we had coded "buy" opportunities to
appear in red and "sell" opportunities to appear in green in a grid.  Three months into
the project the project sponsor asked if we couldn't add some kind of status indicator
other than the amount... that's how we discovered he was color-blind (it also explained
why he kept asking for the "hot dog" color scheme).  We compromised by keeping the
red/green colors, but adding bold or italic attributes for buy and sell (normal
attributes for hold).

I was never happy with the bold and italic solution, but by that time we were on a very
tight deadline, and it could be done in five minutes.  I'd have been a lot happier if I
could have included a small icon next to the message.

--
    mailto:dave.leigh@cratchit.org
    http://www.cratchit.org/dleigh