List:       kde-look
Subject:    Re: Again - UI
From:       Marko Samastur <markos () elite ! org>
Date:       2000-04-19 18:53:23

zander@microweb.nl wrote:

> - Most software is provided as source. Because most users don't want that firms
> like corel/redhat/suse package the stuff. One thing that follows from these steps
> is that most (big) software tools need a path compiled in them. Making it \
> impossible to move them.

No, it follows the opposite. Since you have source, you can change the
path to whatever you want.
Problems are binary packages, which rely on a certain path. Those can't
be moved, but many of us use them because they make administrating job a
lot easier.

> In short, the problem you have has been solved with RPM's. Full harddisk mean: \
> remove a package you don't need. And installing new software like an office package \
> or a game are at mercy of the installers provided.

No, it might mean that only when you want to save something on a
partition that is occupied also with programs.

> I see no way that KDE (the front end of the OS) can deliver a solution. The \
> problems you see on windows just don't exist.

Sure they do, just less so.

Philip Rackus wrote:

> Hi There,
>
> I have been teaching newbies how to use and understand Linux and Unix for ... well, \
> lets just say its been a while.  I know that most people new to linux/unix have a \
> very hard time understanding the concept of mounted filesystems - especially if \
> they come to us from the MS windows world.  I always thought that it would be \
> helpful to have a separate icon to indicate a different partition in the file \
> manager (konqueror).  Like a directory folder only unique enough to indicate a \
> separate drive partition.
>
> This would give the newbie a visual concept of how a mounted FS works.  Taken to \
> its extreme, a user (root) could even drag and drop the filesystem icon around in \
> konqueror and have fstab and mtab automatically updated.
> Just a thought that's been rattling around my head for a while.

Interesting thought. But isn't the goal to remove necessity to know what
a file system is?

Marko