List:       kde-look
Subject:    Re: KDE from a usability look
From:       zander () microweb ! nl
Date:       2000-04-17 20:06:35

> > On Sun, Apr 16, 2000 at 01:06:01PM +0200, Thomas Zander wrote:
> > > The file->new->"File system device" could have a better name, what about "Drive \
> > > Icon"
> >
> > In theory one could use that to mount partitions too... but I am open
> > to suggestions, especially since I'm not a native speaker. Drive Icon sounds
> > a bit strange though, no ?
>
> Yes, and remember, this *is* a UNIX desktop, not DOS/Windows, so filesystem is more \
> correct, as drives are just one  part of the filesystem heirarchy. IMHO there is no \
> real need to implement a tired and not completely relevant metaphor from another \
> operating system...

So we are down to the following demands:
- a user must understand what he will be able to accomplish with this.
- if I am searching to add an icon to say: server:/home/zander to the
  desktop, how do I do it.

In both  cases it is a shortcut (,link, alias) to a directory.
It would be very easy to say "folder alias", but that does not do nfs
shares justice.
I would almost say, put an extra option in the menu with "network folder alias"

Anyone with suggestions. Please think about this one.

--
Thomas Zander                                                zander@microweb.nl
History repeats itself, it has to nobody ever listens.         gpg-key:  0588D5