List:       kde-look
Subject:    Re: On desktops
From:       Willi Kappler <grandor () gmx ! de>
Date:       2000-04-01 18:26:01

On Sam, 01 Apr 2000, you wrote:

> Willi, this is almost, but not quite, what I mean.  But it's very close.  Thanks
> for the tip.
>
> Folders on the panel are really menus, and they clam up as soon as you give
> something else the focus.  Drawers are persistent... when you open them, they
> stay open until you close them.  Since drawers aren't menus you can do other
> nifty things like drag a file onto a app in an open drawer, which of course would
> launch the app and open the file (dragging the icon onto the drawer icon itself
> would add it to the drawer).  Of course, when you've got some MIME magic goin' on
> in the file manager, you really don't HAVE to have that kind of feature, so I'm
> not going to cry too much about it.

Ok, now I know what you mean. You may have a look at KGoodStuff from Jürgen
Vigna, which has persistant Buttonbars, you can drag files onto it, etc.

> One of the best uses for it is if you have a MDI program and you want to open
> lots of files, this sends all of the files to the same instance of the app
> instead of opening multiple instances.  And YES, I know that KDE doesn't support
> MDI (though it's one of my favorite things about gedit... I really LIKE the
> reduction in screen and taskbar clutter.), so that reason for it is not terribly
> important.  The equivalent action in kfm is ctrl-click or click and drag to
> select files, then right-click, then choose the app.

Me too! Qt 2.1 has the ability to do MDI, so maybe we see it in some KDE 2.0
apps. And with Qt 2.1 you can also  tear-off menus, which I use pretty much with
GIMP.

> If you've got a full RedHat install and you're using kdm to log on you can choose
> AnotherLevel as your window manager at the logon screen and get a sort of a
> feeling of what the wharf is like.  The launchpad in OS/2 is a bit more "busy",
> but I like it.

No, I'm a SusE user ;-) but I got the idea now.

Bye,
Willi