On Fri, Mar 31, 2000 at 01:05:11AM +0100, Rik Hemsley wrote: > #if Marko Samastur > > Once for a change, I'll try to be very brief :) > > Me too. > > > Rik Hemsley wrote: > > > > > > > Dynamic menus can be treated this way: the program tells the > > > > menucontroller (kaction?) to create the according menu which will be > > > > expanded with the dynamic items before shown. > > > > > > Ok. That's quite a lot of configurability. > > > Considering that about 0.1% of users will actually be bothered enough > > > to change their menu and toolbars, perhaps we should just let them > > > edit the XML as they can currently ? > > > > I'd just like to add a warning about this obsessivness with > > configurability. I think this is one of the problems with Windows > > environment, which often gives you twelve ways of doing things, but none > > good. > > Right. There's something to be said for concentrating development > efforts on truly worthwhile features, such as our office apps, > stability, interoperability, etc. Configurability should really > be an afterthought. Design the thing well in the first place > and worry about the small proportion of users who want things to > work a certain way later. Don't configurability and good design go hand in hand? IMO a well designed application can be made very configurable, although not all the options should be visible for the user. Look at kparts. It is a good design and it provides configurability. Wilco