List:       kde-look
Subject:    Re: On desktops
From:       Marko Samastur <markos () elite ! org>
Date:       2000-03-30 22:43:16

"Friedrich W. H. Kossebau" wrote:

> I would like to propose to use the desktop as a place for cutted text,
> images, any other object that is used in the actual work. A place to put
> things that are not used by now but little time later.

I don't like it when computer tries to emulate real life too much but I
like this idea. However there might be some problems representing some
of the objects (for example code snippets, parts of sound files...) so
they are distinguishable from others of the same nature.

> This assumes another proposal of mine: all editing or displaying widgets
> should be able to DnD. When clicking and holding in a selected area this
> should start a DnD-process, not new selection. And moving dragged stuff
> over a droptaking area should result in a cursor that shows where the
> stuff would be inserted. Couldn't this be standard for especially the
> text widgets (klineedit, kmultilineedit, ...)? So many apps could do so.

Right.

> Why does KDE offer different desktops? I think because people do

Probably also because we have small monitors (mine is just 19", but it's
at least tolerable).

> My proposal for this: Each desktop is a program itself that is capable
> of handling desktop stuff like described above. It accepts normal apps
> that are started and keeps them as its own. And there are application
> that have a desktop of their own.

No. It can quickly transform in hunting down where you put some piece of
text or an image. I'd would agree with you, if I'd agree to the premise,
but I think organization is just a part of the picture and not necessary
the most important one.

> Each desktop has its own stuff and apps. Only apps that are sticked are
> shown on all desktops. (Could it be still called "sticked" then? What
> are they sticked to? The screen? Isn't it vice versa related to the
> desktop?)

They are visually pinned to the screen. I'd guess that you don't see
your desk when you look at your monitor ;)

> The last refers to being in "mouse mode" of course, I know there are
> short cuts. Because I don't like jumpig between keyboard and mouse so
> often. I think KDE should offer everything to both mouse users and
> keyboard users.

As far as I know, it already does.

Marko