List:       kde-look
Subject:    Selecting in SC Mode (was: Re: kdelibs/kdecore)
From:       Michael Reiher <michael.reiher () gmx ! de>
Date:       2000-03-17 16:57:51

David Faure wrote:

> > > autoselection for KIconView et al should be off by default (as discussed with
> > > David)
> > Hmm, but what is the recommended default way to simply select a single
> > object then?
>
> Oh hmmm, good point.
>
> But I usually don't select a single file. What for ?
> Whatever you want to do with it, you can do it right away
> without selecting it.
Ahh, right. Now I remember, this was the argument why a way of selecting
a single file is not required;) Well, really not neccessary in a file
manager.

> What do you have in mind ?
I wanted to make Pixie work with KIconView. Right now if you single
click, i.e. select, a file it shows a preview(though a bit a strange
one) and if you double click the image gets loaded into the main window.
In this case it really makes sence to only select a single item, as
showing the preview is much faster than loading the whole image each
time. And a context menu not really useable here.

> > The style guide doesn´t seem to talk about that. Waldo?
> > IMHO auto-select should be on by default. Who´s annoyed by it can
> > disable it.
>
> It's all about majority / a reasonable default ;-)
Ok, another try on kde-look. With a different subject and a request for
comment this time:)

Should it be possible to select a single item in single click mode?
(IMO, yes)
What is the recommended way to do it?
Should auto-select be on or off by default?

Comments, please!

Greets

Michael

--
Michael Reiher
     Student at Dresden University of Technology

"Beware the woods at night, beware the lunar light!"