List:       kde-look
Subject:    Re: UI design proposals
From:       Marko Samastur <markos () elite ! org>
Date:       2000-03-08 16:57:30

Steven D'Aprano wrote:

> > 'the program doesn't support it for that action' - then the program
> > is broken and should be fixed.
>
> Again, yes, I agree. Undo should be available. Undo should be better.
> Dialogs should be avoided whenever possible.
>
> But again, we also need to focus on the real world, especially for
> something like KDE. There are an awful lot of features in KDE apps that
> are in development, on wish lists, or just basically not yet
> implemented, including undo. You have three choices then: don't release
> the app at all because its broken; release it with a dialog that warns
> that undo isn't yet available for that specific action; or release it
> with no warning, and when people complain, tell them to RTFM (which will
> be written and released Real Soon Now).

We certainly can't force anyone and even if we could, it would still be
a bad idea. But changing of save and undo options has nothing to do with
intrinsics of KDE or Qt. You can do that right now and the same way you
can do the opposite (well, the way things are done now generally means
less work) - at least when it comes to user interface.

The problem I myself see, is the KDE Style Guide prominently lists how
menus look and even says which one MUST be there. Guess which one they
list first between those.

I'd personally be happy, if style guide and applications that are part
of KDE were changed. Or putting it differently, tell what is right and
be example of it.

Marko