List:       kde-look
Subject:    Re: UI design proposals
From:       Waldo Bastian <bastian () suse ! de>
Date:       2000-03-05 15:34:29

On Sun, 05 Mar 2000, Marko Samastur wrote:
> I am afraid though that KDE would use RCS or CVS in a bad way. What I
> mean as a bad way is a gui wrapper which mimics the workings of cli
> tools.

That was not my intention when I mentioned it.

The idea is to be able to access older versions of a document. CVS (and
RCS) offer this functionality so they are logical candidates to build
something on from a technology point of view.

I don't see any reason to hide the concept of revision control systems:

	each modification creates a new version

I think the usual CLI tools hook in very directly with this concept and
I see little wrong with that. Of course a GUI shouldn't bother it's
user with commands like "cvs -z6 update -r1.34" but offer a nice point
and click possibility to open the "version of 2 feb 2000 (1.34)" of
document "xyz".

Apart from that some integration of the concept would need to take
place. E.g. what happens when you open an old version, make
modifications and save it?

Cheers,
Waldo