List:       kde-look
Subject:    Re: File management (long)
From:       Waldo Bastian <bastian () suse ! de>
Date:       2000-03-05 14:48:04

On Sun, 05 Mar 2000, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> Waldo Bastian wrote:
> > On Sun, 05 Mar 2000, Marko Samastur wrote:
> > > Every file on the system could be identified with a unique ID.
> >
> > We refer to this ID as "filename" or URL. :-)
>
> Just a thought: if the user changes the file name, then this will
> naturally break the associations it formerly had.

Yes. This is a fundamental problem. The numerical ID doesn't solve that
because we have no way to ensure that it stays with the document unless
it is stored _in_ the document.

If we had a file-system supporting meta-data we could store this ID as
meta-data. Unfortunately we don't have that.

> But if you had a unique numerical ID that the user couldn't change,
> then the document could still be tracked no matter where it was
> stored or what name it was given.
>
> Just a thought, mostly because I'm sick and tired of Windows
> shortcuts pointing to empty space just because I've moved the file to
> a new location.

Cheers,
Waldo