List:       kde-look
Subject:    Re: UI design proposals
From:       Christoph =?iso-8859-1?Q?Sch=F6nfeld?=
Date:       2000-03-04 17:57:19

Marko Samastur wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I must say I agree with practically everything you've said. What I haven't
> comment on, I agree completely.

> Additionally, when possible, application should show (limit) valid range
> for input values (for instance, if valid input number should lie between 7
> and 20 it should show this)
In such a case the programmer should not chose an input line but a
slider, indicating min/max and current values.

> As you've said, confirming is a thin ice and in my opinion should in
> generally be avoided. Confirmation boxes are insulting, because they imply
> to the user, that he might not know what he is doing. The program should
> check, when possible, but not doubt, when it isn't.
An alternative to confirmation boxes is highlighting the field somehow
(visual effects) that contains wrong input, or leaving a note in a
status field at the bottom of the dialog. Actually, everything that is
not as
annoying as a message box the user has to confirm first, is a better
choice.

Christoph