List:       kde-look
Subject:    RE: [Fwd: Usability and open source]
From:       Tyler Regas <tyler () regas ! net>
Date:       2000-01-31 15:26:34

On Mon, 31 Jan 2000, Ben Last wrote:
> Nope, that's true, but it *is* learnable.  It has a response that is within
> basic human capabilities to model unconciously and to predict, especially when
> combined with visual feedback.  I still think messing with it is nasty :-)
> Mind you, I always hated those interfaces that "warped" the pointer to the
> default button - I always lost the pointer and had to scrub the mouse around to
> find it again.

This works very well if the outcome is predictable. As long as the pointer
snaps to modal dialogs only, then it becomes an expected response and can
speed up work or at least UI usability. There are negatives that I don't
have to mention, but the bennies outweigh them, I think.

--
Tyler C Regas
Freelance Author