List:       kde-look
Subject:    Re: Usability and open source
From:       John Summerfield <summer () OS2 ! ami ! com ! au>
Date:       2000-01-30 22:26:28

> On Sun, 30 Jan 2000, Ben Last wrote:
>
> > will very probably go open-source later this year).  However, I do have a
> > couple of other areas of expertise; usabillity and HCI (and interface desig
> > in general).
> > So - this is a *genuine* request for your input, folks; is there a way in
> > which an HCI bod can get involved via this list (plus CVS, plus whatever) i
> > enhancing the usability of KDE?  Ideally I'd like my preferred *nix desktop
> > to approach the Mac in terms of usability (let's ignore Apple's recent
> > fallings-from-grace in that area) as fast as possible.
> > Ben Last

I've not used a Mac, but just about anyone who's used OS/2 a lot will tell
you it's streets ahead of Winders and Linux (with or without KDE or GNOME).

> Hey Ben,
>
> Thanks a lot for your interest in KDE. Your offer to help is very
> interesting and useful.
>
> There is something that was intended but was never accomplished to a
> satisfactory extent: analyse the HCI of present applications in KDE.
>
> What I see you could do to help is:

I recall seeing another HCI person or two (I think one was from IBM) on
the list a while back; I'd like to see a committee of two or three; they
don't HAVE to agree on everything, and Im sure they won't just as lawyers
don't, but discussing the issues will result in a better outcome.

One of the lessons I took away from a project management course a few
years ago was the effectiveness of small committees at making better
decisions, even when they know next to nothing. The project for discussion
was not something we knew much about; something to do with landing on the
moon.
--
Cheers
John Summerfield