List:       kde-look
Subject:    Re: [Fwd: Giving Feedback to Launching Applications]
From:       Rik Hemsley <rik () kde ! org>
Date:       2000-01-22 23:35:04

This discussion is all very well, but have you thought about the
technical issues behind ?

Well, the problem with app starting indication is that you don't know
when an app has started. You know when you started it, you know
plenty of other things about it, but you don't know when it's got
a window on the screen and is ready to accept input.

I'm currently trying to sort things so that KDE apps will provide this
notification, but please bear in mind that such a solution will only
work for KDE apps.

If you want real app starting indication, you'll have to persuade
the authors of applications to emit some kind of signal when the app
is ready. I don't really care what kind of signal. Perhaps someone
else has a good idea. I personally like the idea of using dcop, as
a dcop signal can be sent from something as lowly as a shell script.

After this issue is resolved, you can have any kind of app starting
indication you like, and doubtless those of you who want splash screens
will find a developer with the time and inclination to implement
your request and make it configurable.

So please, just wait a bit until you see KDE apps doing this  ! :)

Cheers,
Rik

--
2. Implicate yourself in every interpretation.