List:       kde-look
Subject:    the MDI thing
From:       Charles <charles () altair ! dhs ! org>
Date:       1999-12-26 2:29:35

I've prepared a little concept art regarding the MDI issue.
http://altair.dhs.org/~charles/njord_mdi.png
It looks silly, I know, but it does get my point accross. :)

In this case, I'm running KDevelop. (lets just imagine that it's KDevelop 2.0 :)
KDevelop registers itself with KDesktop, and KDesktop makes the KDevelop the
master window.  So now, you get something like that.

The advantage of this is that you're still running an SDI, and your still
running an MDI, and you can take advantage of your Virtual Desktops.

When Any KDevelop window is active, the menu is visible (in the style of MacOS).
The menus are draggable, hideable, etc (in the style of KDE).  Same with the
toolbar.  It's registered, so middle clicking on the desktop (in the style of
RISC OS) gives you the menu bar.  Just in case you don't like the menu bar
stuck to the top of the desktop.

On the taskbar (which is empty, because I was lazy to draw it all :), all the
KDevelop windows are visible.  If you click on another window that's not part
of KDevelop (say, a Konqy window) then the taskbar just shows "KDevelop", and
not its children.  (As to avoid confusion over what app you're working with).

A child window can also have a toolbar, itself, it just depends on what you
need for this particlular app.  KDevelop would probably need to have it's
children with toolbars, rather than a global.

What are our opinions on this?  I know that I would certainly like to use my
desktop if it ran in this way.  And this means only for apps that need it like
KDesktop.

-Charles