List:       kde-look
Subject:    Re: Kde-look pages.
From:       Waldo Bastian <bastian () suse ! de>
Date:       1999-10-22 19:01:27

On Tue, 19 Oct 1999, Peter Penz wrote:
> Hi!
>
> After I've read Waldos Page, which was made by the input of the
> core-developers, I was impressed and disappointed at the same time. Many
> improvements were made to the original page I made with Thomas, Derek
> and many other people of kde-look. I like the additional examples and
> implementation nodes, I also like many other changes...
>
> But I think the changing of the mouse-behaviour is really terrible. On
> the page is written: "On a system wide basis the user can decide whether
> to use single-click behaviour or double-click behaviour. The default
> behaviour is single-click behaviour. With single-click behaviour,
> double-clicks are treated as a single single-click."
>
> If you really can switch from SC to DC on a system-wide basis, than I
> (!) will use DC. Great for me, but bad for others who want a PURE
> SC-behaviour: it doesn't work that you use SC INSTEAD of DC without
> saying a word about marking objects.
>
> The current solution on KDE1.X is a bad mixture of SC and DC. On kfm
> you've SC, but on a file-open-dialog you have DC (you can switch to SC
> there, but only for folders). This is absolute inconsistent. The problem
> is, that it's not possible to use SC everywhere, without changing the
> applications *dramatically*.

This is an implementation issue which is being addressed.

> Let's imagine there's really a system-wide switch between DC and SC.
> - SC: marks object
> - DC: executes default action
>
> Single-Click-Behaviour:
> - SC: executes default action (marks objects??? - if yes: when?).

It also marks the object before executing the default action. If this
is not clear on the web-page this should be clearified.

> I agree: voting is no solution. But currently the solution on KDE with
> Quit/Exit/Close and the mouse-behaviour isn't even as consistent as in
> MS-Windows. Sad but true...

KDE 1.1.2 has incosistencies in this area, yes. But that is unrelated
to the new style guide. The style guide defines how the behaviour
_should_ be.

> The last years Microsoft spend a lot of time
> in usability-tests and as Windows2000, Outlook-Express and IE5.0 shows,
> success the success followed one year ago. I wish that KDE will have
> better UI-guidelines as even the Mac has. With greatest respect to the
> KDE-2-team, but I still think that developers shouldn't make
> UI-guidelines without speaking with some UI-experts.

We spoke with you didn't we? :-)

> Anyway: I'm happy that there is worked on the standards and that my work
> and the work of many other people wasn't a waste of time.

I appreciate the work you have done very much. I might not agree on all
subjects but it has given us a very good starting point which we can
work from. Thank you very much for that.

Cheers,
Waldo