List:       kde-look
Subject:    Re: Full screen?
From:       Dave Leigh <dave._leigh () mindspring ! com>
Date:       1999-09-23 13:07:50

Marko Rosic wrote:

> On Thu, 23 Sep 1999, Stefan Taferner wrote:
> > > That remended me, there is sticky option but no ON TOP option for windows!
> >
> > I think the question is if these options are really necessary for most users.
>
> Thing I like about UNIX is that it has a bunch of options, and it's
> configurability. The very same things I like in OS/2.
> So why leave user with ONE option, and one way of working, it's more
> natural to ake something that user can rearange to suit his needs.

Y'know, basically I agree with you, that things should be as flexible as possible
for the users, all other considerations being equal.  However, you asked the
question, so here's an answer:  Having one way of working is:
*    Easier to train
*    It's easier to code.
*    It's easier to maintain.
*    It's less prone to bugs.
*    It gives the program a smaller footprint.  As a result it can be faster
(though not always).

I do not advocate providing only one method of doing something.  But any
additional functionality should outweigh the advantages of technical simplicity.

--
    mailto:dave.leigh@cratchit.org
    http://www.cratchit.org/dleigh