List:       kde-look
Subject:    Re: KDE Standards - Basic - Windows
From:       Stefan Taferner <taferner () salzburg ! co ! at>
Date:       1999-09-23 6:24:29

On Wed, 22 Sep 1999, zander@microweb.nl wrote:
[...]
> > 2) File->Close should mean "close file" or "close document" (or "close
image", or whatever you have)  > > After all this option is in the file menu.
Close never quits the application. > > * For SDI this means that the document
is closed but not the window. An empty window will > > remain.

> Leaving open an empty window is not really natural. But un option. I think we just have
> use it to try out the how and what. The point is, Close does not really add a feature.
> So do you want it in the menu. If you grow up with KDE, and no close in the file menu.
> Would you miss it?

Depends on the situation I would say.

From observation of other users I can say that some people think and work
different.

Let's take the simple case: an editor.

The user starts the editor. It comes up with an _empty_ window.
Then he opens a document, works with the document. When he is done,
he wants to put it away and work with another document.

"Put it away" means in computer terms: close it.
"Work with another document" is here the Open functionality.

The user could be teached to not close the document but simply open
the other one, which would replace the current one.

However, when the editor supports multiple documents, you still need
to close documents to get rid of them.

--Stefan